Picture above shows the efficient rotor area for helicopter, JETCOPTER and eVTOL as well as capabilities (more stars – better).
The tiltrotor construction allows to use second largest diameter rotors after helicopters. Despite hype on multirotors distributed propulsion as highly redundant system, physics is strict – the smaller prop are very inefficient for VTOL. So electric multicopters leave with just only 1 advantage – distributed propulsion for OEI (one engine inoperative) case. Despite 8 or 12 electric motors look attractive at first look in terms of flight safety, more motors = more controllers = more connections = more chances for critical failure.
After a decade of excitements around the eVTOL aircraft, aerospace experts drawing attention to tiltrotor aircraft. Despite their great capabilities in military fields, apparently, the tiltrotor design will also have excellent options in UAM, AAM (as electric) and RAM (regional air mobility) and as a hybrid. Thus, one efficient tiltrotor design will start to dominate the entire VTOL industry.
The tiltrotor configuration achieves the highest performance on multiple metrics across other VTOL configurations. It has the smallest physical footprint, highest speed, smallest total mission (block) time, and the lowest maintenance cost per mission.
Working on improving recent tiltrotors issues, JETCOPTER achieved the impressive results – from a large overall weight reduction, new OEI, novel rotor tilting mechanics to the many other advantages, that will make the fast and powerful VTOL very efficient with very low operational costs. From the eVTOL to the Urban air mobility, hybrid to the Regional mobility, turboshaft to the military versions – everywhere JETCOPTER tilrotor will find its place.
Here’s why cost efficient tiltrotors will dominate in VTOL / eVTOL markets.
- Physics – large props need less power for VTOL mode, smaller – much more power. Tiltrotors have seconds large rotors after helicopters.
- Simple sample of rotor diameter capabilities : V-22 Osprey and F-35B, both have approx. same weight. The first with large rotors, capable to lift also large loads, the second with much smaller fans, capable to lift only itself while have much more powerful engines.
- NASA studies – tiltrotors are “the best configuration for the commuter looking to avoid congestion in the typical urban setting”.
- eVTOLs – will remain as low performance e-stuffs. Small rotors aren’t capable to lift more than 4 passenger seats, while 2 x large rotors are capable to lift more than 10 passenger seats.
- General aviation experience : airplane with 2 large engines is much more effective than with 4 small.
- NATO is looking for next generation faster rotorcrafts with 5000-10000$ flying costs /1h. Only efficient tiltrotor is capable to reach such targets.
- The current tiltrotors are based on technologies, that have developed and matured over last 50-70 years. Based on helicopters flying control principles – cyclic/collective with coupled x2 rotor tilting heads, each with swash plate mechanics. Such system, with much complex components have very high VTOL aircraft flight costs – 23000$/1h.
- JETCOPTER tiltrotor construction with x2 independently tilting rotor heads is without expensive and complex helicopter components. Such VTOL aircraft will have less than 8000$/h flying costs compared with 23000$/h of recent tiltrotors.
- Tiltrotors (VTOL airplanes ) with much reduced operational costs capable highly increase use cases options – tiltrotors not only for defence, but as general aviation as well.
We live in the exciting period – helicopter epoch declining after 100 years of domination and the tiltrotor epoch inclining. Firstly innovations always goes to defence – military adopt them very fast. They already for long time in searching for helicopters replacement. Very soon society , general aviation will understand , that only tiltrotors are sustainable VTOLs, capable to lift far more than 4 eVTOL seats and thus are economically effective VTOL’s. Large rotors always will win in VTOL.
Recently there is only one tilrotor manufacturer in the world – BELL.AW609 by Leonardo was made in cooperation with BELL.
Where do we will get tiltrotors ?
Invest into the worlds second, efficient tiltrotor production in Europe Union. Cost effective production in East Europe countries, where also GE – worlds famous jet engine manufacturer also have the new production facilities.
The world tiltrotor production is very limited and aircrafts are very expensive. For example BELL VALOR V-280, capacity 14 troops, initial price is $27 000 000 (possible lower at later stages), LEONARDO AW609 price is between $20-30 000 000, so all tiltrotors are extremely expensive. While having better performance – higher speed and longer flying distance JETCOPTER tiltrotor will be more affordable – till $15 000 000. Such price level will allow to attract much more customers and allow to be JETCOPTER project very profitable.
More info by email – FLY@JETCOPTER.EU